Xbox Playstation PC

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
murasakikaichou

PostSubject: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:58 am

I was asked by one of your users to tell my ban story here. So here I am.

My story:
So, because I'm a developer and appealed to tinkering. I modded my 360's drive with custom firmware. I don't have any burnt games for 360. I have spent $400+ on X-Box live content. My console has now been fully, with unrepealable ban, from Xbox live. I can even supply proof I own all of my games, but most of my money went into RockBand, as I am a huge fan of these kinds of games and Developer of DigiBand. They say they don't tell you why you've been banned, but it seems I've worked out the reason with their forum moderator, and that it's because of the drive. I offered to them that I would remove the firmware and go back to a stock drive, but they have been reluctant to lift the ban.

What I'm try to achieve is to not yet again be a victim of price gauging from Microsoft. (Stuff like this has happened to me before, I purchased Windows XP Pro X64, and the disc came shattered, they then wanted me to pay for a new disc, $30, and still haven't resolved this one with me.)

I refuse to have to purchase a new 360, especially since mine has a long history that I'm proud of. It's a first gen console that still works because of modifications I made to it's motherboard to keep it from RRODing, and I've kept it clean.

The forum post can be found here:

My next step is to contact a certain moderator who can issue a reevaluation of the case. But does that mean if I restore the drive to its original firmware, does that mean I can log back in and have their software verify it is original? We'll have to wait and see.

Wait I think we might have a problem here, I can't e-mail them because I don't have a gold account. How tacky is that?

EDIT:
And that's what makes this all worse. I don't play games online, I only PURCHASE stuff with my xbox live account. Isn't it kinda stupid to ban a high paying customer from your store?

EDIT:
I might use this one on them:
"Banning a customer for a modified drive, is like banning a customer because they aren't wearing any shoes. Wouldn't you just tell them to go put some shoes on?", right now it's in my bio.

EDIT:
I have just placed a complaint with the FTC, I would highly recommend any other victims in this manner do the same.
FTC Complaint Wizard
Back to top Go down
Killer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:46 pm

I tried to post a reply on the xbox forums, but they denied it and then locked it, it always gets locked when i try to comment.......
Back to top Go down
murasakikaichou

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:50 pm

Yeah I noticed the forum got locked all of sudden. And they left it with the last user accusing me of damaging their IP and store somehow. I didn't know non Moderators were allowed to post there. Which makes their customer service that much more unacceptable. I'm still looking for a way to have them lift my ban, I mean seriously, I'll remove the custom firmware, or buy a new drive. I love though how they told me to PM a certain user, and I can not PM because I don't have a gold account.

EDIT:
To make things even more odd, why do these extras even feel the need to say anything at all? They're just making invalid already argued points. Much worse that I fear, is why are they siding with Microsoft? It's like the guy who barged in saying I should read the Terms of Services thoroughly but obviously didn't read the entire post before replying. Has this world lost perception of what's rude? How is my swapping the software off my drive for other software breaking things? What's next is Nike going to sue us or tell us we can't enter some kind of Nike sponsored event, just because we swap our shoe laces with another brands?
Back to top Go down
GEE 04

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:36 pm

murasakikaichou wrote:
I was asked by one of your users to tell my ban story here. So here I am.

My story:
So, because I'm a developer and appealed to tinkering. I modded my 360's drive with custom firmware. I don't have any burnt games for 360. I have spent $400+ on X-Box live content. My console has now been fully, with unrepealable ban, from Xbox live. I can even supply proof I own all of my games, but most of my money went into RockBand, as I am a huge fan of these kinds of games and Developer of DigiBand. They say they don't tell you why you've been banned, but it seems I've worked out the reason with their forum moderator, and that it's because of the drive. I offered to them that I would remove the firmware and go back to a stock drive, but they have been reluctant to lift the ban.

What I'm try to achieve is to not yet again be a victim of price gauging from Microsoft. (Stuff like this has happened to me before, I purchased Windows XP Pro X64, and the disc came shattered, they then wanted me to pay for a new disc, $30, and still haven't resolved this one with me.)

I refuse to have to purchase a new 360, especially since mine has a long history that I'm proud of. It's a first gen console that still works because of modifications I made to it's motherboard to keep it from RRODing, and I've kept it clean.

The forum post can be found here:

My next step is to contact a certain moderator who can issue a reevaluation of the case. But does that mean if I restore the drive to its original firmware, does that mean I can log back in and have their software verify it is original? We'll have to wait and see.

Wait I think we might have a problem here, I can't e-mail them because I don't have a gold account. How tacky is that?

EDIT:
And that's what makes this all worse. I don't play games online, I only PURCHASE stuff with my xbox live account. Isn't it kinda stupid to ban a high paying customer from your store?

EDIT:
I might use this one on them:
"Banning a customer for a modified drive, is like banning a customer because they aren't wearing any shoes. Wouldn't you just tell them to go put some shoes on?", right now it's in my bio.

EDIT:
I have just placed a complaint with the FTC, I would highly recommend any other victims in this manner do the same.
FTC Complaint Wizard

murasakikaichou,

That flat out sucks! But thats the way M$ is. Once you modify your console in any way you violate the Xbox terms of use. (I cant seem to find the link) But I'm sure you knew that already. I think if I remember reading correctly the reason for this is they think your playing downloaded games. I know you said that you haven't, but there is really now way they can believe or verify what you are saying is true.

I'm pretty sure their reasoning for this was the devs were worried that their intellectual property would be stolen an they would lose tons of money. Kinda like the music and movie industries. Except they have no one to really put some pressure on to help them out. It sucks but thats the way it is. Just imagine if EA goes to M$ and says if you don't do something about this we're not developing games for your system.
Back to top Go down
murasakikaichou

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:51 pm

Update:
I called back CS and got told pretty much, "Tough shit, get lost" in a nicer way. So I called their HQ in redmond, the nice secretary told me about advocate at microsoft.com. I e-mailed them and finally I get a nicer lady who is actually willing to try and help. She called me and asked me for my console SN and ID. So I'll keep you all posted what happens next.
Back to top Go down
GEE 04

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:22 pm

murasakikaichou wrote:
Update:
I called back CS and got told pretty much, "Tough shit, get lost" in a nicer way. So I called their HQ in redmond, the nice secretary told me about advocate at microsoft.com. I e-mailed them and finally I get a nicer lady who is actually willing to try and help. She called me and asked me for my console SN and ID. So I'll keep you all posted what happens next.

While I'm very skeptical they'll do anything for I do wish you the very best of luck!
Back to top Go down
Bitterswe3tlife

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:41 pm

I have came to the conclusion that microsoft wants the money... bottom line... who cares what the "little people" think... I hope there is a decent person at that company that can help fix your situation. It sucks that they dont think about how much money we spend. From points to subscriptions to the 50-60 dollar a game. I pay for 3 gold accounts... i might just tell them to use the playstation 3 and f xbox live... and just buy the playstation games... smh if they really cared about money they would try to keep us instead of piss us off. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/gdwtfmfsob
murasakikaichou

PostSubject: now my save data is corrupt.   Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:53 pm

So it all gets worse. I decided to purchase a new 360 that I found for cheap ($99 for just the console) instead of dealing with replacing that drive, which anywhere I could buy one would be $70. I get everything restored on my hard drive, try to play a game, and I find out:

Microsoft has Intentionally corrupted all of my save files.

I'm thinking of returning the 360 now. I'd sue for a refund and damages, but I have found out that hiring a lawyer to take the case would cost more than what I paid and could get. So that wouldn't do any good. I mean, anyone who wrote software that intentionally damaged user files would normally get sued into the dirt... This is quite literately the functionality of a virus and not software.
Back to top Go down
Bitterswe3tlife

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:55 pm

Holy hell! Did you contact Xbox about the files to see what they have said about it. I never knew they would stoop so low.
Back to top Go down
Killer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:01 pm

so everything is gone????
Back to top Go down
murasakikaichou

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:10 pm

I'm calling right now, the lady I got kept trying to tell me to redownload my games. But save data has nothing to do with downloading...

Now she's trying to tell me Microsoft has no way of doing that. Which is just even more shady.
Back to top Go down
Bitterswe3tlife

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:30 pm

i can relate to that. i am really sorry. i went from a shared xbox to having my own and then upgraded my hard drive with no transfer cable. I'm just glad they have it setup that we can redownload what games and add ons we purchased. When i bought my new xbox they told me i would have to rebuy everything so when i got on i thought they had goofed so i stayed up really late downloading all my stuff before i thought they would have caught their mistake.
Back to top Go down
murasakikaichou

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:48 pm

So I guess I'll wait until tomorrow to speak with this other customer service rep, who seems to be from the HQ side of things. But, yup, looks like my save data is gone unless I want to keep using my modified 360. They refuse to do anything about it. I really don't like their policies, and I swear people are just becoming sheepish to whatever Microsoft says. This is really scary. The fact that people think Microsoft has the right to tell you what you can and can't do with your property, and has the right to do whatever they want to your property just because you purchased it from them, is just frightening. I really wish more people would stand up and fight this kind of behavior, but maybe the stereo type that only slackers and children (or their parents) buy video games is true...

What if I wanted to keep my original game discs safe, and use only back ups? There are a large group of people who actually do this, and not just pirate. In my case I only have the drive modded for home brew content. I know I'm a rarity, but is it that rare?
Back to top Go down
Bitterswe3tlife

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:05 pm

I dont do it for my games but i do it for my music cds. I understand your reasons for doing. the games are so much more expensive than music cds and you should be able to store the actual game on a hard drive so that way if the actual game cd messes up you dont have to spend 50 bucks to replace them again for the same game you have already paid for.
Back to top Go down
murasakikaichou

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:46 pm

Hmm... I finally was able to get my old DVD drive to use it's original firmware. So now they have no reason for my console to be banned. Let's see if I can convince them to unban it.
Back to top Go down
Killer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:12 am

This a response from the xbox mod "HANDLEBARS"

Q: I don't think that I deserved to be banned from Xbox LIVE. My box isn't modded. What can I do to appeal the banning process?
A: Our investigations are very thorough. However if you PM Tatsu24 with your console ID and serial number we will re-verify our investigation.

Your console ID is located in System Settings>Console Settings>System Info

Before replying, please be sure that you:

1. Purchased your console brand new and unopened from a reputable retailer
2. No individual has ever handled the Xbox outside your direct physical supervision.
3. You have thoroughly reviewed the information and FAQ located at Console Ban
Please be aware: that if our re-verification is correct, this could result in a permanent suspension of the Xbox LIVE accounts on this console, along with all associated licenses and gamerscore. Note* You must have patience, you are not the only one asking for this info.

This is your only path for appeal.

This FAQ will answer most questions that are available to you. http://forums.xbox.com/30122259/ShowPost.aspx

~ HB

I think #2 is the best, so if someone comes to my house,im not allowed to leave them alone in the same room as the xbox that I payed for, im supposed to guard it with my life???
Back to top Go down
GEE 04

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:21 am

I think #2 is the best, so if someone comes to my house,im not allowed to leave them alone in the same room as the xbox that I payed for, im supposed to guard it with my life???[/quote]

Welcome to M$. Almost as bad as the iState.

Back to top Go down
murasakikaichou

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:49 am

I was able to fix my save data, once I have time I will write out instructions for doing this. It's a very tedious process.
Back to top Go down
Killer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:18 am

Well, im glad to see your up and running again,were you able to use your old console, or did you have to use the new one??
Back to top Go down
murasakikaichou

PostSubject: final verdict Boycott MS   Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:23 pm

So final story. I had to fix the save files by taking apart the hard drive and using it on my computer.
Secondly, They refuse at all to do anything about the ban or the save files. My suspicion is that they don't have a way to unban a console and would have to code it into the next system update. But of course the system can't update because of the ban. So instead of admitting they're lazy, they just tell me that I'm breaking the law, argue about it, and then finally admitting that it's not breaking the law but against their policy. To many people mix these two together...

So I'm now boycotting all MS Products. I'll keep my current XBox 360 for RB, but I'm not purchasing anything MS anymore. This is disgusting.
Back to top Go down
Killer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:41 pm

So,pretty much they have you by the balls(sorry ladies).I could see if you bought the console and then tried to hack their system with it, or tried to harm other people, but you didn't.Imagine buying a computer,bringing it home,and installing a bigger hard drive,next thing you know,they locked up your computer saying,sorry you cant do that,imagine what would happen?
Back to top Go down
murasakikaichou

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:18 pm

Yeah, I know, it's the same thing. And honestly people break the microsoft EULA all the time, not even knowing it. As well as do people violate the XBox Terms of Service all the time not even knowing it. Just saying a swear word could get you console banned. This is obviously selective enforcement.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.   

Back to top Go down

Console banned for custom firmware on my DVD-Drive.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
G.A.M.E :: Xbox 360 :: Suspensions-
Jump to: